People who have spent time in prison for crimes they did not commit know firsthand that serious mistakes happen in our criminal justice system. As long as we have a death penalty, we will run the risk of executing an innocent person. Here are their stories:
- Carlos DeLuna Mr. DeLuna was executed in Texas in 1989, but a 2012 report from Columbia Law School shows he was innocent.
- Maurice Caldwell In December 2011, Maurice Caldwell was released after 21 years in prison for a murder he did not commit.
- Obie Anthony At 19, Mr. Anthony faced the death penalty for a crime that he did not commit. Read more about his exoneration and release, and why he supports SAFE California
- Franky Carrillo Mr. Carrillo was sentenced to prison at the age of 16 for a murder he did not commit and was found innocent after spending 20 years behind bars.
- Cameron Todd Willingham Mr. Willingham was executed in Texas for a fire that killed his three children, even though experts now agree the fire was an accident and he was innocent.
- Gloria Killian Ms. Killian spent 18 years in prison for a murder she did not commit and narrowly escaped execution.
- Ronnie Sandoval Ronnie's son, Arthur Carmona, was wrongfully convicted and sent time in prison for a crime he did not commit. Soon after his release from prison, he was murdered.